Malaysian English

If you come to Malaysia, here, the place where I belong, or if you live in Malaysia, you will hear different kinds of languages spoken by the local people. It is pretty awesome to live in Malaysia because of its diversity. 

I was watching a video which somebody has put it up on Facebook, and the spoke-person was a Canadian. She was married to a Malaysian-Chinese guy and I guessed she settled down here. She was talking about Malaysian English. 

English is the second language of this country. That's why you can hear people utter some words in English and some might even sound funny. 

If you are a native speaker of English, you wouldn't understand this Malaysian English at all. Well, because it's funny to listen to and it does not make sense to you at all. 

Mind you, Malaysian English is not a standard English at all. How can this be? Because it carries different meaning when people speak in Malaysian English and the sentences are all haywire and it gives out very hilarious meaning. 

It is two different things between standard English and Malaysian English. Malaysian English are accepted in our culture, my culture, I am Malaysian and proud to be one, but it is not accepted in other countries which English is their native language. 

I am not saying that I never speak Malaysian English. I do too. Just to make me sounds local and not trying to show off with standard English or something. 

If you learn language learning or language acquiring or something like that, you will know that there's a method to practice second language or foreign language. The method is called, grammar-translation method.

Malaysian English happens due to the fact that they use this method. Translating Malay to English. It has become a habit among this community but if they go to native English countries, they might sound funny or even, offend some people. So, that's why we need to learn standard English. So that you will not make yourself a fool when you go to other's countries and speak Malaysian English.

I think Malaysia's language system is quite the same with the English except for the different sounds that the symbols carry. But the alphabets are all the same. From A to Z.

I am not saying that it is bad to speak Malaysian English, I am just saying that, besides Malaysian English, you should also need to learn standard English so that when you travel around the world you don't offend certain people or sounds like a total idiot. 

If possible, if you want to use proper English, stop adding the -lah at the last word of your sentences. Avoid that if you must. And, please do read something in English and find an English writer and not local ones, well, local ones are good too, but certain people only, like me. LOL

p/s: I also love Malaysian English but I get scolded for not speaking in standard English and sometimes, I just want to be funny and sounds local. That's all. Peace no war. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DOA untuk ingat dengan SEKALI BACA

gambar malam gala unit F

mengundang padah bila tidak berhati-hati. :(